Saturday, October 6, 2007

My First Dance Class - Zydeco.

This happened two days back. I enrolled for Zydeco. I proclaim this to be my first dance classes officially, though my parents insist that I was given dance lessons whilst I was 3-4 years. Well I don’t remember about learning dancing, but I do remember of scheming to avoid dance classes.

Zydeco is a form of folk dance and it is a partner dance.
As the time neared, I was in a dilemma. I had not danced after college and I felt that two years is really a long gap. My dances in college was with group where no one really cared how one dances. So long as the music is good the audiences will also be busy dancing/ boozing/ howling etc. But J was highly enthusiastic about it and I was left with no option rather accompany him.

I was in for a shock when I saw the dance class venue. I had expected a room, with doors closed. But it was in an open stage, with Cajun music blaring and fully illuminated. The time of dance was 7' PM and it was getting dark. Anyone going through the road could see the stage. I wouldn’t have dared to dance there even if I was fully drunk. I looked to J's face to detect any sign of withdrawal. Though he was a little surprised, was not abashed like me. And I walked towards the arena with my valiant J.

All my fears left when I met our "classmates" and the instructors. They welcomed us with open arms, completing deflating my fears. It was just the basics of Zydeco on the first class. It consist of 8 steps 1,2,3, Tap and 1,2,3 tap to the opposite side. And we danced for 2 hours till 9'. Zydeco opened up a new world for me. A new community, meeting new people, and most of all the realization that J dances better than me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Anonymous said...

sliceofhappiness.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading sliceofhappiness.blogspot.com every day.
fast cash loan
payday advance